1.3 Million people living in Michigan do! In fact, 1 in 7 individuals rely on SNAP, Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (formerly known as “food stamps”), to eat and/or feed their family — 27% of whom, are children, 28% of whom are 60 or older.
Look around you….The person next to you, down the hallway or the car in your child’s school pick-up line may be hungry and living off of $4.20 a day to eat — That’s only $1.20 per meal.
So we challenge you. Join us in living on a $4.20 daily budget and gain a better understanding of the people we serve at Yad Ezra and the people around us.
This includes breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks, seasonings and drinks.
Join us on Tuesday, July 11 at 7:30PM at the Meijer, 28800 Telegraph Rd, Southfield, MI 48034 (Telegraph & 12 Mile), where we will shop, using our own $4.20, for what you will live off of for the next 24 hours.
Then, join us for lunch the next day, eating from our shopping spree the night before. On July 12, at noon, we will meet at Yad Era (2850 W 11 Mile Road, Berkley) with our lunches and share our experiences. The challenge will end on Thursday, July 12th at 7:30pm.
If you accept our challenge please contact Nechama at Yad Ezra at (248) 548-3663 or Nechama@yadezra.org.
Then challenge your relatives, colleagues and friends to join you in this challenge. If you do not live in Detroit, we encourage you to still participate. Leverage our social media channels so that we can follow you on your journey.
It is sad, that in the United States of America and indeed the world, millions of people are “food insecure", meaning they are unable to provide adequate, nutritious food for themselves, let alone their family.
Together, let’s draw attention to how 1.3 million people in Michigan are living — Hungry.
You’ve been SNAPPED, now let’s #SNAPdetroit
Here are the details for the 24 Hour Food Stamp Diet Challenge:
What: 24 Hour Food Stamp Diet Challenge-Live off of $4.20 to fed yourself, the equivalent of the SNAP allocation in the State of Michigan.
When: July 11-12
o Part I. July 11th at 7:30 PM
· Meet at Meijer to shop (28800 Telegraph Rd, Southfield, MI 48034 South Entrance).
o Part II. July 12 at 12:00 PM.
· Bring your lunch to Yad Ezra (2850 W 11 Mile Road, Berkley).
If you want to participate but can’t join us at Meijer or Yad Ezra, please notify Nechama@yadezra.org.
Facebook: post your pictures and comments on FB with the hashtag #SNAPdetroit.
Challenge your friends to participate.
SAMPLE FACEBOOK POST
Challenge accepted. I will live on $4.20 a day for SnapDetroit and help @YadEzraDet raise awareness around the 1.3 Michiganians living on food stamps. I challenge you! #SNAPdetroit
To Register: Contact Nechama at Yad Ezra at (248) 548-3663 or Nechama@yadezra.org
- This event is voluntary and you are participating of your own free will.
- By participating you agree to spend your own money (and perhaps donate to Yad Ezra).
- All food consumed during challenge has to have been purchased with the $4.20 allocation.
- Do not include food already purchased outside this challenge
- If you have a family, you may combine your purchases.
- There is no tax on food in the State of Michigan.
- Try to include fresh produce and a healthy protein.
- You can use coupons and look for discounted items.
- This includes seasonings, condiments, snacks and drinks.
- You can’t accept food from family, friends and co-workers or office kitchen.
- Samples of items permitted for purchase using SNAP benefits: produce and canned goods, meat and dairy products, dried goods, beans and rice, breads and cereals, baby food and infant formula, soda, chips and candy, coffee and tea, seems for eating or planting.
- What you cannot buy using SNAP benefits, alcohol, tobacco, hot food or prepared foods, medicine and vitamins, non-edible household items such as diapers, soap, toilet paper and laundry detergent.
- This event is based on the honor system.