The National Labor Relations Board (#NLRB) has recently declared, through a series of rulings, advisories and memos, that employers cannot fire their employees for what they post on line. However, here are a few tips for companies to think about as their employers turn to social media:
- Have a social media policy outlining exactly what you expect your employees to post on line, reminding them to keep private information private.
- If you already have a social media policy, review it and revise it.
- Have someone monitor social media activity both internally and externally.
- Respond to posts that need to be responded to in a timely way.
- Turn negative chatter into positive and constructive dialogue.