QUICK TIPS | CREATE THE FOUNDATION: MASTER THE MESSAGE
- Know who your audience is.
- Become familiar with their position and what they want.
- What do they care about| What do you want them to do?
- Create a strategy to influence stakeholder positions
A message map is the foundation for all communications relating to an organization. Once it has been developed, a message map serves as the blueprint for all communication on a topic, from talking points to marketing collateral, website copy and anything else you may need to create. In creating the map you want to identify:
- Your audience - The stakeholders you need to reach to have this initiative be successful.
- Get to know the stakeholders – Where are they coming from? What keeps them up at night? What is their point of view? What concerns do the have? What is their problem and how can you help them or solve it for them.
- Messaging Objectives – Once you know a little bit about your stakeholders, what do you want them to do?